Hay as a Dangerous Good during marine transportation
Issued on: Wednesday June 21, 2023
Transport Canada Dangerous Goods regulations state that bales of hay are considered a dangerous good during marine transportation. For the safety of our customers and crew, please take the following steps when travelling with hay:
- Bales of hay must be secured within a closed vehicle or the load must be completely tarped to prevent random ignition.
- A dangerous goods shipping document can be found here, and is required regardless of weight or the number of bales.
- Flammable Solids placards must be displayed when transporting over 500 kg. (1,100 lbs.).
- Dangerous goods regulations do not apply to unbaled or loose hay used for feed during transport or as bedding for livestock.
- Wet, damp, or contaminated hay cannot be transported on BC Ferries vessels.
We recommend that for the most up-to-date sailing and departure information, our customers also follow @BCFerries on Twitter, visit our website at bcferries.com or call us toll free at 1-888-223-3779