Hauling your horse short or long distance can be stressful for you and your horse, but it doesn’t have to be.  With the right tools and information you can prepare yourself and your horse for a safe trouble free hauling experience.

Your horse doesn’t care whether the trailer matches the truck pulling it or whether your living quarters boast a state-of-the-art stereo system. But your horse does care that he can load and offload without slipping or scrambling, ride as comfortably as possible, breathe fresh air (with a minimum of dust and exhaust fumes), rest during a long trip, and put his head down once in a while to clear his respiratory passages of inhaled particles. The information in our transportation section should help ease the stress.

Electronic Logging Device Requirements in the United States
The rule limits the amount of time a commercial truck driver can drive and mandates a specific amount of off-duty/non-driving time, and requires the use of electronic logging devices to track the driving and non-driving times.

It is important to verify with the State commercial motor vehicle authorities to determine which regulations apply in each state as they may differ.

Please follow this link for more information relating to hauling horses wihtin these regulations – Federal Motor Carrier Commercial Safety Association FMCSA


If you have questions about towing a horse trailer in B.C., here are links to some good information:

Additional websites that contain excellent resources:


See Licensing for Recreation Vehicles information sheet from ICBC.

ICBC also has a study guide for learning how to tow a recreation vehicle and the information can be applied to horse trailers.



An HCBC member is leasing a horse, they are trailering the leased horse and they are involved in an accident. Does the third party liability insurance cover them as a non owned horse or is the lessee considered the owner in this case?


In the situation of non commercial transportation of non owned horses the lessee would have to be found responsible for the accident. There is coverage with the basic HCBC membership for non commercial transportation of non owned horses but the horse owner would have to take legal action against the person trailering the horse and the maximum per horse that would be rewarded is $10,000.00 per horse. If anyone was to purchase the Members Named Peril (MNP) coverage it should be the owner. This would give a maximum payout of $4,000.00. If the horse is worth more an Equi Care policy would be ideal.