OUTDOOR RECREATION COUNCIL OF BC
Administration & Communications Assistant
The Outdoor Recreation Council of BC, a non-profit society which advocates for public outdoor recreation in BC and represents the interests of BC’s principal motorized and non-motorized outdoor recreation organizations, seeks an Administration and Communications Assistant.
This is a part-time contract position. The Assistant will report to the Executive Director and should be available to work up to 24 hours/week at the Council’s office in downtown Vancouver. Ability to work from home may be an option. Some travel to meetings and workshops which benefit the Council’s understanding of outdoor recreation issues may be necessary.
- To have a strong interest in and experience with at least one form of outdoor recreation.
- To be, or have been, a member of one of the Council’s member organizations.
- To possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.).
- To assist with the updating of the Council’s website, and be able to use social media if the Council decides to adopt a social media strategy.
- Experience as a board member of a non-profit society would be an asset.
Responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day communication with the Council’s Board of Directors and member organizations to gain understanding of the types of issues which can have an impact on public outdoor recreation.
- Learning how the outdoor sector deals with those issues and interacts with appropriate departments of the BC Government and other agencies.
- Reviewing phone and e-mail messages and other correspondence and ensuring that messages requiring action by the Council are responded to and acted on appropriately
- Taking the minutes of monthly Board meetings, and the AGM in June.
- Maintaining the master list of the Council’s member organizations and contacts and issuing membership dues invoices at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Monitoring the Council’s website to ensure posted information is accurate and up-to-date and direct the website manager to make changes when required.
- Progressively assume other administrative duties currently performed by the Executive Director to ensure the Council meets its mandate.
- All such responsibilities will be detailed during an initial phone interview.
Interested candidates are invited to send a résumé and cover letter, including hourly remuneration expectations, by Thursday October 27, 2016. Only those selected for a phone interview will be contacted.