Ottawa, ON, Nov. 21, 2016 – Equestrian Canada (EC) is pleased to introduce the new FEI Recognized National Passport, available for horses competing at FEI CIM-level (1* and 2*) competitions within Canada.
EC created the FEI Recognized National Passport following changes to Article 137.2 of the FEI Rules, which will come into effect Jan. 1, 2017:
As of 1 January 2017 the following requirements apply to horses that are registered with the FEI for the first time:
(i) To be identifiable at least by a National Passport approved by the FEI; and
(ii) Scans of the description page and diagram of the National Passports approved by the FEI must be uploaded by the NFs to the FEI Database prior to the horse competing in the event.
Who Can Use the FEI Recognized National Passport?
The passport can be purchased by any EC Sport Licence Holder for any horse. However, it is intended for horses competing at FEI CIM-level competitions within Canada that are being registered with the FEI for the first time.
What is an FEI CIM-level Competition?
CIM stands for Concours International Minor and is an abbreviation used by the FEI for a Minor International Event. For more information see the FEI General Regulations, Appendix E – CIMs.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of the National Passport include:
- Full compliance and recognition by the FEI
- More cost effective than an FEI passport
- Allows horses to compete at FEI 1* and 2* level within Canada without holding an FEI passport
- Option to upgrade National Passport to an FEI Recognition Card for use at all FEI levels both within and outside of Canada
What Do I Need to Know About the FEI Recognized National Passport?
- The National Passport is available to all EC Sport Licence Holders, but is only required for horses being registered with the FEI for the first time who are competing at FEI CIM-level competitions in Canada.
- The National Passport is NOT required for horses competing at EC Bronze, Silver and Gold competitions.
- The National Passport has the same application and validation requirements as an FEI Passport:
- Horses must be microchipped
- Vaccination records must be provided
- Veterinarian signature and stamp required for diagram
- Must be sent to EC office for validation before use
How Do I Get an FEI Recognized National Passport?
The FEI Recognized National Passport application, as well as full information and FAQs, will be available in December 2016 at www.equestrian.ca.
For questions regarding the new FEI Recognized National Passport, please contact:
FEI Athlete Services Administrator
Toll Free: 1-866-282-8395 x 121